Looking for a yummy Thanksgiving dessert that won’t nudge your scale in the wrong direction? Try out one of these recipes for berries and cream or fruit sorbet. They are low in calories, yet sweet enough to satisfy your sweet tooth!
Berries and Cream: Mix fresh or unsweetened frozen berries with a little agave. Put a small amount of berries in another bowl for garnish. Whip whipping cream with mixer. When cream is almost whipped, add 1 tsp. agave and 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract per pint of whipping cream. Fold whipped cream into berries and fill each stemware glass about ¼-1/3 full with the mix. Garnish with berries.
Sorbet: This recipe requires some prep the day before: Pour some unsweetened almond milk (plain or vanilla) in ice cube trays and freeze.
Place frozen unsweetened fruit, a little agave and stevia, and a small amount of unsweetened almond milk ice cubes in blender or Ninja (works best.) Blend and put mix in glass stemware. Garnish with a little homemade whipped cream and mint leaf.
Copyright David and Cheryl MacDonald, 2012
1-15oz can tomato sauce (no added sugar)
2 cloves garlic
1 lb ground bison or lean ground beef
½ tsp. sea salt
½ tsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. dried basil
½ tsp. dried parsley
1tsp. agave syrup
2 tbs. balsamic vinegar
2 tbs. olive oil
2 small zucchini
- Take ground meat and make little meat balls, add a little steak seasoing and brown in olive oil
- When meat is about half-way cooked-add diced onion and chopped garlic into pan and sauté
- Add tomato sauce
- Add in seasonings, along with agave and balsamic vinegar
- Slice zucchini long way in little ¼” x ¼“ strips. Add to hot mix and stir gently.
- Simmer. Approximately 10 minutes, until zucchini is soft.
Copyright David MacDonald
Spooky Deviled Eggs
Get creative with deviled eggs for Halloween by topping them with an olive spider or eyeball!
Minutes to Prepare: 25
Number of Servings: 24
1 dozen fresh eggs 3 tbsp low-fat mayonnaise 1 tsp sweet pickle relish paprika to taste
Hard boil eggs. (Boil for 15 minutes in a large soup pot; at 14 minutes, fill a large bowl with ice water. When eggs are done, fish them out one at a time and drop them into the ice water bowl. Eggs will melt the ice and warm the water; replace water with more cold tap water when this happens. Keep in water until ready to peel.) Peel eggs and cut in half. Remove yolks and set aside; arrange egg white halves on a serving platter. Combine yolks, mayonnaise and pickle relish in a large bowl. Mash egg yolks with fork and mix well with other ingredients. Spoon into egg white halves and top with shakes of paprika to taste. Number of Servings: 24
For fewer calories, try replacing some or all mayo with mustard, olive or grapeseed oil (providing healthy fats!) and see how that tastes. Experiment with a variety of seasonings to add interest and enjoyment to your eggs!
Balsamic Baked Tilapia
This recipe, submitted by a Go Figure client, has a 4 ½ start rating! Eating white fish frequently is not only very healthy, but is one of the best ways to lose weight. Seafood cooks quickly, so recipes for them are often fast and easy to prepare.
Leave out the bleu cheese until maintenance. After several weeks of being on the program, you can try using a little feta or parmesan instead.
Recipe from allrecipes.com
Balsamic Baked Tilapia
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Ready In: 40 Minutes
“Balsamic vinegar adds a subtle sweetness to the onions and peppers that top these tasty tilapia filets. A sprinkle of blue cheese brings the whole dish together.”
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, halved and sliced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
2 (8 ounce) filets tilapia filets
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup crumbled blue cheese
4 cups mixed salad greens
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onion and red pepper in the oil until onion is tender and golden, and peppers are slightly soft, about 10 minutes. Stir balsamic vinegar into the vegetables; season with salt and pepper.
- Rub tilapia filets with 2 teaspoons olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Place filets in a small baking dish, and top with the balsamic onion mixture. Sprinkle fish evenly with blue cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven until fish flakes easily. Serve atop salad greens.